One of only
about 589 of these cars was made. They were originally only sold to Law
Enforcement Fleets. Even though this car is kind of rare, I must
"make it mine" though customization. If it makes you feel
better all of the original parts have been boxed and saved. I even have
two of lots of the specific 91 and 92 only parts because I am building
the 91 drag car.
The stock rear could be grenaded if not
upgraded. To save the posi from destruction I
bought a torsen style posi
pulled from an SLP car, I just need to put it in. I might get a 12 bolt
later, but for now I will just upgrade this lighter weight factory rear.
I would like to get a set of Moser axles.
For induction did temporarily use a Holley Stealth Ram that was originally
purchased for the drag car project. When the 412 goes back in, it will
roll with a Accel
The heads on this 350 are 58cc L98 corvette aluminum heads and net 10.25
to 1 compression; they are equipped with 1.6 rockers as well. The
throttle body is an 1000cfm Accel
unit. The short block is stock L98 that originally had iron heads,
freshened with new rings, bearings, oil pump and gaskets. The 412 that is
going back in uses Pro Action Aluminum heads.
The Headers are 1 3/4" SLP shorty headers. This header allows for
plug and plug wire clearance for straight plug and L98 aluminum angle
plug heads. They are designed for straight plugs, and for L98 aluminum
angle plugs, but they didn’t fit the canted angle of the Pro Action
Aluminum heads and needed massaging when I had them on the 412 before. The
cat back is also SLP.
I installed a GM ZZ4 cam, It looks like it will better compliment my
"warmed over” 350 ZZ4's marginally higher 10.25:1 compression and
the intake without sacrificing much if any of the drivability. The cam
for the 412 is going to be a Comp Cams XFI 280.
My well built 700R4 and converter is not that
far from its last freshening. If it could survive my old 415 on nitrous,
it will survive a little normally aspirated thrashing from this 412. It
also now has an LS1 stock aluminum driveshaft.
I used Auto Specialties “Power
Stop” rotors to replace the worn but massive factory 1LE brake rotors as
well as Earl's stainless braided brake lines replaced the worn rubber
ones. I used Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads on the rotors.
The in-tank pump was replaced with a 255 LPH
mustang Walbro unit as well as an aluminum ½
inch pickup line was installed in addition to it for possible future use
with a monster inline pump (for who knows what). The problem is I need to
drop the tank again to figure what the sending unit float has hung up on.
I am sure it is that added line or its retainers.
Due to a weird railroad work schedule, and pure laziness on my part the
work is progressing slowly, but the car is up and running fairly strong.
It gives me a good clean cruiser. I had found a guy with a set of 91-92
modular wheels that had been chromed that I think would set this ride
off. I have lost track of him so may have my own chromed locally. The
GTA/GNX black 16’s I have around here look nice on this car also.
I just bought a program from Alvin at www.pcmsforless.com
By building a simple and proven combo, and staying away from a power
adder, this has resulted in a fast street legal car and a dependable
regular driver. I wouldn’t mind putting a power adder on it but the
tranny and rear might get toasted. Leaving it just normally aspirated
keeps things from breaking and gives me more time for the other car.
To see how this car was assembled, go to Pictures project completed!